Spooky Beavers: Here’s the latest info. Note our March crew work trip is
1. CREW WORK TRIP – Saturday – 9 Mar 19: This is our regularly scheduled monthly worktrip. It’s likely we will need certified sawyers. Normal showtime of 9:00 am at the PATC shed. We likely will have several members of the public joining us as we have had volunteer interest through and after the Federal Government shutdown. So, need folks to help lead work crews. It’s supposed to rain on Friday, but clear by the evening, so I anticipate soggy trails so clearing of water diversions may be possible, but pounding the dirt into shape may not. One of the tasks on my list is to fill in the holes on the Chopawamsic Trail created by overturned root balls.
Please let me know if you are coming, or if not, what works needs to be done on your trail section.
2. CHECK YOUR TRAIL SECTION: Please check your assigned trail section in the next two – three weeks and let me know the condition and what is needed to be done, either by you or with the help of the crew or park staff.
3. NEW OF FORM 301A FOR 2019: All crewmembers need to complete and sign a new OF FORM 301A for 2019. See attached form. Please electronically complete the form (or print it out and complete it), and then sign it. Either scan and email me the completed and signed form, or leave it in the tool cache box for me to pick up later. PLEASE DO THIS BY 31 MARCH 2019.
4. JOB HAZARD ANALYSIS: As referenced on the OF FORM 301A in block #24, we recently updated the Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs) for the trails maintenance tasks that we perform. They include: Trail Maintenance – General, Use of Hand Tools/Blazing Trails, and Chainsaw Operations for Downed Trees. JHAs identify the trail maintenance tasks we perform and how we should safely approach those tasks and use tools and materials safely.
At each crew worktrip, I will be providing a general overview of the JHAs as well as highlighting JHA-specific information to the trail tasks being
performed that outing. If you have folks accompanying you on your
individual trail outings, you must use the JHAs to educate your volunteers on safety aspects of the work to be performed.
To get everyone updated right away, I ASK EACH CREW MEMBER TO REVIEW THE ATTACHED JHA’S AND THEN SEND ME AN EMAIL ACKNOWLEDGING YOU HAVE REVIEWED THE JHA’S. PLEASE DO THIS BY 31 MARCH 2019. (Please do not make me track you down).
5. NEW CHOPAWAMSIC TRAIL PARKING LOT: The new Chopawamsic Trail parking lot on Joplin Rd is officially open. The parking lot off Breckenridge Rd is also available to us. As before, please let the Visitor Center staff or an LE ranger know you are accessing the Chopawamsic Trail. The fire road gate key in the tool cache box opens the lock at either parking lot. Please remember to sign the key in and out.
6. THANKS: Drop me a note if you can make either of the upcoming work trips, or if you have any questions.
Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
Prince William Forest Park