Entrance fees to increase at Prince William Forest Park

From insidenova.com-

As part of an effort to address aging park infrastructure and improve future visitor experiences, Prince William Forest Park will increase its per vehicle entrance fee to $15 on Jan. 1.

 In 2020, the park will increase all entrance fees to meet nationwide standards, according to a news release.

 “The new entrance fees will help us tackle backlogged maintenance and repair projects,” Superintendent Tanya Gossett said.  “As our visitation grows, the wear and tear on the park’s infrastructure increases. We want Prince William Forest Park to continue to be your favorite place to relax and enjoy well maintained trails, clean and comfortable campgrounds, sturdy and scenic bridges and the park’s many other amenities.”

All money collected from entrance fees remains in the National Park Service, with at least 80 percent retained by Prince William Forest Park. Fee revenue supports visitor programs and services and helps the park improve comfort stations, accessible walkways, cabins, trails and other visitor facilities. The other 20 percent is spent on projects that benefit visitors in national parks that don’t collect entrance fees. The fee schedule will change according to the following:

 The vehicle fee is increasing from $10 in 2018 to the new $15 rate next year and will climb to $20 in 2020. Also in 2020, individual admission will increase from $7 now to $10 and motorcycle fees will climb from $10 currently to $15. An annual pass will stay at $30 in 2019, and increase to $35 in 2020.

 The per vehicle entrance fee covers anyone in a vehicle up to a 15-passenger van and is valid for seven days.

 A part of the National Park system since 1936, Prince William Forest Park provides recreational opportunities for camping, hiking and biking, with nearly 15,000 acres of woodland habitat home to diverse plants and animals. The park also preserves more than 150 historic structures, including the largest inventory of Civilian Conservation Corps structures in any national park.

 For more information visit the website, Facebook page or call the park visitor center at 703-221-7181.

 

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *